Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Last month I wrote a bit about "bursting", the theory that frequent short bursts of exercise provide the body with as many -- if not more -- benefits as a longer workout. I was referring to the "Common Health Myths" article on WomentoWomen.com -- the first place where I read about this type of exercise. Well, ever since then, I seem to have read about bursting in almost every checkout aisle magazine and women's health website I've visited! Seems like this idea is really starting to catch on. From one magazine article, here is an easy way to give your day a "burst" of energizing exercise:
1. Walk at an easy pace for 5 minutes.
2. Go fast for 15 seconds by increasing speed and pumping arms. Do this on a hill or incline to achieve maximum intensity. As you become accustomed to bursting, try to stretch the fast power walk to a full minute.
3. Slow down -- but don't stop -- for 30-60 seconds.
4. Keep alternating between fast and slow intervals.
5. Exercise for a total of 20-30 minutes. Shoot for exercising 3-5 days per week. Add in abdominal exercises for a total body strengthener!